The Riverside City College beach volleyball squad hosted their first Orange Empire Conference (OEC) match on Friday morning against the formidable Cypress College Chargers. They Tigers earned a win from their first and fifth pair, but were swept in the rest of the matches leading to a 3-2 defeat.
Sophomore Natalie Escher and freshman Vashti Elias-Romero acted as the top pair and earned one of the victories. Despite dropping the opening set 18-21, they rallied back to earn a 21-19 win in the second set. They sealed the deal with a 15-10 third-set triumph. It is their fifth win on the season.
Sophomore Roni Lopez and freshman Morgan Spencer earned a win at the fifth position. They, too, found themselves in a gritty showdown after dropping the first set 13-21. They came back to win the final two sets by the final count of 21-12, 15-9.
Riverside (3-6, 1-2 OEC) will continue action on Friday, march 22 at home against the Saddleback College Gauchos and the Fullerton College Hornets. The first match begins at 10 a.m.
Cypress defeats Riverside, 3-2
- Natalie Escher/Vashti Elias-Romero (RCC) defeats Khamis Berneker/Brittany Zavala (CYP) (18-21, 21-19, 15-10)
- Alisha Ormond/jane Woodward (CYP) defeats Sadie Arganda/Kayla Mckinnon (RCC) (22-24, 10-21)
- Kayla Owens/Danielle Gomez (CYP) defeats Jasmine Urban/Patricia Brucks (RCC) (15-21, 16-21)
- Marina Pilkington/Ashley Corona (CYP) defeats Telanni Childs/Robyn Collier (RCC) (15-21, 16-21)
- Morgan Spencer/Robi Lopez (RCC) defeats Alojandra Lamas/Savannah Johnson (RCC) (13-21, 21-12, 15-9)